Missing teeth not only diminish an attractive smile, they also compromise oral function and health. Dentures at our Kansas City, MO, practice can restore the appearance and function of a patient’s smile after they have lost several teeth or an entire arch. Comprised of lifelike prosthetic teeth and a supporting base, a denture is a removable appliance that can provide a natural-looking replacement solution. Dr. John Goodman has two decades of experience restoring patient’s smiles with dentures. Individuals who choose our practice can rest assured they are receiving the highest level of compassionate dental care available.
Traditional vs. Implant-Supported Dentures
Used in the dental field for centuries, traditional dentures rely on the gums and the underlying bone for support. Patients missing multiple teeth can benefit from a partial denture, while those missing all of their teeth will require a full denture. Traditional dentures usually offer the most cost-effective teeth replacement option.
Once you receive your final dentures, you can enjoy an improved appearance and enhanced function.
Unlike traditional appliances, implant-supported dentures are connected to dental implants for stability. This is beneficial for two primary reasons. First, implant-supported dentures do not shift, slip, or wobble as traditional dentures tend to do over time. Secondly, because dental implants preserve existing bone, patients who choose this option can avoid the natural bone degradation process in the future.
Who Is a Candidate for Dentures?
Anyone who has experienced significant tooth loss can qualify for dentures. The best candidates have adequate jawbone density and gum tissue. If you are only missing a few teeth, Dr. Goodman may talk with you about other options, such as dental bridges or implants.
Our goal is to provide conservative and predictable treatment for every patient. After determining your personal oral health goals, we can design a customized treatment plan to meet your needs.
Exploring the Treatment Process
Those receiving traditional dentures at our practice can expect to complete their treatment in as little as two visits. The exact timeline will depend on a few factors, depending on your unique circumstances. The treatment process includes:
- Initial consultation: During your first appointment with Dr. Goodman, he will assess the health of your gums and any remaining teeth. Scans and x-rays may also be required to evaluate the health of the underlying bone.
- Preparatory procedures: In some cases, patients may need to have prerequisite procedures performed before receiving their dentures. For example, any damaged or decayed teeth will need to be removed. If you require any preparatory procedures, this may add a few weeks to your treatment timeline. It should be noted, however, that not all patients will require this step.
- Impressions: Before your dentures can be fabricated, Dr. Goodman will take impressions. These will be sent to a dental lab for the fabrication of your appliance.
- Wax-up: In some cases, Dr. Goodman may have a wax denture model crafted. This allows him to assess the fit and make any necessary changes or modifications.
- Fabrication of final prosthesis: Once you are satisfied with the look and feel of the wax model, your final dentures can be crafted, using the highest-quality dental materials available.
- Final adjustments: After trying in your final denture, Dr. Goodman may need to make a few final adjustments to ensure a proper fit.
Implant-supported dentures require additional steps for implant placement. Once you receive your final dentures, you can enjoy an improved appearance and enhanced function. To properly maintain your prosthesis, we recommend regular dental visits.
Learn More about Dentures
If your quality of life is suffering due to missing teeth, schedule a consultation to explore your treatment options. Call our office at (816) 842-8585 or contact us online anytime.