Wisdom Teeth Removal
When wisdom teeth become impacted or infected, they can cause significant pain. Wisdom teeth can also cause tooth crowding and other complications. In those cases, Dr. John Goodman in Kansas City, MO, may recommend wisdom teeth removal. In some cases, he may recommend removing wisdom teeth in their very earliest stages of development in order to avoid the risk of these complications altogether. Dr. Goodman will refer you out to an Oral Surgeon for wisdom teeth removal.
Benefits of Wisdom Teeth Removal
Most wisdom teeth removal procedures s are performed to address the sudden onset of pain or an infection. Once your wisdom teeth have been removed, you can experience:
- Relief of pain: If an impacted, damaged, or infected wisdom tooth is causing pain, removing the tooth can provide virtually immediate relief.
- Preservation of oral health: Left untreated, infections or decay will spread, compromising the health of other teeth and surrounding gum tissue. By removing the source of the infection, you can restore oral health.
- Avoid teeth crowding: Wisdom teeth can often cause surrounding teeth to become crowded due to a lack of room in the jaw. Once wisdom teeth are removed, patients can expect better results from braces or clear aligner treatments. Evenly spaced teeth are also easier to clean.
Am I a Candidate for Wisdom Teeth Removal?
Most patients are good candidates for wisdom teeth removal. Dr. Goodman will refer the patient to an Oral Surgeon to have the wisdom teeth removed. Individuals who undergo this procedure are typically experiencing:
- Gum inflammation around one or more wisdom teeth
- An impacted tooth
- Crowded teeth
- An infection related to one or more wisdom teeth
- An advanced cavity
- Pain caused by wisdom teeth
Contact Our Clinic Today
If you are experiencing the sudden onset of pain near your wisdom teeth, you may need to have your wisdom teeth extracted. Dr. Goodman has more than two decades of experience in dentistry, so he works with the best Oral Surgeons in the area. Our office’s philosophy centers on treating our patients with ease, good spirits, and laughter.