Wisdom Teeth Removal
When wisdom teeth become impacted or infected, they can cause significant pain. Wisdom teeth can also cause tooth crowding and other complications. In those cases, Dr. John Goodman in Kansas City, MO, may recommend wisdom teeth removal. In some cases, he may recommend removing wisdom teeth in their very earliest stages of development in order to avoid the risk of these complications altogether. Dr. Goodman will refer you out to an Oral Surgeon for wisdom teeth removal.
Benefits of Wisdom Teeth Removal
Most wisdom teeth removal procedures s are performed to address the sudden onset of pain or an infection. Once your wisdom teeth have been removed, you can experience:
- Relief of pain: If an impacted, damaged, or infected wisdom tooth is causing pain, removing the tooth can provide virtually immediate relief.
- Preservation of oral health: Left untreated, infections or decay will spread, compromising the health of other teeth and surrounding gum tissue. By removing the source of the infection, you can restore oral health.
- Avoid teeth crowding: Wisdom teeth can often cause surrounding teeth to become crowded due to a lack of room in the jaw. Once wisdom teeth are removed, patients can expect better results from braces or Invisalign treatments. Evenly spaced teeth are also easier to clean.
- Comfortable treatment: Dr. Gooman will use anesthesia and other methods to ensure that your wisdom teeth removal is as comfortable as possible.
Am I a Candidate for Wisdom Teeth Removal?
Most patients are good candidates for wisdom teeth removal. Dr. Goodman will review your medical history as well as any medications you are currently taking before recommending wisdom teeth extraction. Individuals who undergo this procedure are typically experiencing:
- Gum inflammation around one or more wisdom teeth
- An impacted tooth
- Crowded teeth
- An infection related to one or more wisdom teeth
- An advanced cavity
- Pain caused by wisdom teeth
How Are Wisdom Teeth Extracted?
Dr. Goodman will first administer anesthesia. Patients who experience dental phobia or who have difficulty sitting still may benefit from nitrous oxide sedation. Once you are comfortable, a small incision will be made in your gums and around the wisdom tooth. Next, your doctor will gently extract the tooth. Sometimes, wisdom teeth are broken into pieces before removal in order to protect surrounding tissue from damage. Once the tooth has been removed, any incisions will be sutured, and gauze will be placed over the extraction site.
Contact Our Clinic Today
If you are experiencing the sudden onset of pain near your wisdom teeth, you may need to have your wisdom teeth extracted. Dr. Goodman has more than two decades of experience in dentistry. His office uses the latest technology and techniques to ensure that treatments are as safe and effective as possible. Our office’s philosophy centers on treating our patients with ease, good spirits, and laughter.