If your gums cover too much of your teeth or the gum line is uneven, you may be unhappy with your smile. You may even be embarrassed and too shy to smile because of an unattractive gum line. The good news is, there is a simple cosmetic dentistry procedure called gum contouring that can help reshape the gum line to achieve a more attractive appearance when you smile. Also called gum reshaping or tissue sculpting, gum contouring can help balance an uneven gum line and give you a smile you’ll be proud to show off.
The Gum Contouring Procedure
A gum contouring procedure is most often performed with local anesthesia that is used to numb the treatment area and keep patients feeling comfortable during treatment. Lasers, scalpels, and other dental tools can be used to remove unwanted gum tissue and reshape the gum line. Dr. John Goodman, our Kansas City cosmetic dentist, is experienced in performing gum contouring. Dr. Goodman will consult with you and examine your gum line before determining if you are a good candidate for gum contouring.
What Makes a Good Gum Contouring Candidate?
In general, gum contouring candidates are people who have a gum line that is too prominent and makes for a “gummy” smile. In many patients, the condition is caused by an overgrowth of gum tissue or the natural position of the jaw. Prominent gum lines can be hereditary or the side effect of medications, such as those taken for epilepsy and high blood pressure.
Candidates for gum contouring may have:
- Gums that protrude too far and cover too much of the teeth
- Discolored gums
- Uneven gum line
- Your teeth appear short and would benefit from some type of lengthening treatment
The shape and proportion of your gums goes a long way toward making a smile that is beautiful and pleasing to the eye. One thing most beautiful smiles have in common is that the gums are correctly proportioned to the teeth and the rest of the mouth. Gums that are either too large or too small for the patient’s face will make the smile appear less attractive.
Many of our patients elect to undergo additional cosmetic dentistry treatments in addition to gum contouring. Procedures that are commonly performed with gum contouring include:
- Porcelain veneers: Veneers can lengthen the teeth and mask stains, asymmetry, chips, cracks, and other aesthetic flaws.
- Teeth whitening: Professional whitening treatments lighten the teeth by up to 10 shades, providing patients with dramatic smile makeover results in just one hour.
- Dental crowns: Like veneers, crowns can lengthen the teeth and cover imperfections. Crowns also offer restorative benefits: they strengthen teeth that have been damaged by decay, disease, or injury.
Contact Our Kansas City Cosmetic Dentist
If you have a prominent gum line and wonder if you are a candidate for gum contouring, we encourage you to consult Kansas City porcelain veneers specialist Dr. John Goodman. Dr. Goodman has helped many patients look and feel better about their smiles by reshaping the gum line to create a more attractive appearance that is pleasing to the eye. Contact our practice today.