5 Warning Signs You May Have Gum Disease
You May Have Gum Disease if...
1. Your gums are sensitive and bleeding easily after brushing or flossing.
2. You have red, swollen, or receding gums pulling away from your teeth.
3. You have chronic bad breath and dry mouth symptoms.
4. You're a smoker or taking medications that cause dry mouth or oral sensitivity.
5. There is a change in the way your teeth or dentures fit together.
Gum disease is caused by the build up of plaque getting caught underneath the gum line. Regular brushing, rinsing, and flossing may not be enough relieve your gum disease. If your oral health is suffering from any of these issues, you should contact your dentist. If periodontal gum disease is left untreated, it will only get worse. Periodontal gum disease is a gateway to chronic infection, tooth decay, bone loss and more.
By attending your regular six month check-ups at your dentist, you can keep your oral hygiene in check and prevent gum disease. If you are unfortunately diagnosed with chronic gum disease, your treatment may require a periodontal scaling and root planing treatment to remove the infection along with several follow-up visits for evaluation. If your gum disease is extremely severe, you may be referred to a periodontal specialist.
If you believe you may have gum disease or are suffering from any of the above symptoms, please call our friendly staff at 816-842-8585 or set up an appointment with Kansas City Dentist, John P. Goodman, DDS. Dr. Goodman and our hygiene staff are experts at treating periodontal gum disease and providing home-care instructions to prevent future occurrences.