Benefits of Dental Sealants and Fluoride Treatment
Prevention is best when it comes to your oral health. While brushing, flossing, and regular dental visits can help keep your teeth healthy, you may still develop cavities. Kansas City cosmetic dentist John Goodman offers dental sealants and fluoride treatment as a means to protect the health of your teeth. Read on to learn about the many benefits of dental sealants and fluoride treatment.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Sealants?
Dental sealants are used to protect the chewing surfaces of the back molars by providing a protective, thin plastic coating. The chewing surfaces of the back molars are susceptible to decay due to the many bumps and grooves, which can retain food particles after eating. Dental sealants cover these bumps and grooves to keep food and bacteria from coming into contact with the tooth's enamel, preventing tooth decay. Here are some of the benefits of dental sealants:
- Prevents tooth decay of the molars: Dental sealants provide a protective barrier to prevent decay and cavities of the chewing surface of the teeth.
- Protects teeth from permanent damage: Dental decay permanently damages the teeth. Dental sealants help prevent decay from occurring so your teeth remain healthy.
- Saves time and money by preventing the need for dental fillings or root canal therapy: Dental fillings and root canal therapy can be costly in both time and money. Dental sealants help prevent the need for fillings and root canal treatment.
- Prevents the pain caused by tooth decay: Tooth decay is very painful. Dental sealants help prevent tooth decay so you will be less likely to have to endure toothaches caused by decay.
- Helps retain the strength of the teeth: Dental sealants help preserve the strength of your teeth by preventing decay.
What Are the Benefits of Fluoride Treatment?
Dental sealants only cover the chewing surfaces of the back molars. Fluoride treatment offers a solution to protecting the smooth surfaces of the teeth not treated with dental sealants. Fluoride is generally found in tap water, toothpastes, and mouth rinses. Fluoride is important to preventing cavities as it restores vital minerals to the tooth's enamel.
- Remineralization: As we eat and drink, the teeth lose and gain minerals. Fluoride is one of the important minerals necessary in the remineralization process.
- Prevents tooth decay: Acid is one of the main causes of tooth decay. Fluoride aides in preventing tooth decay by protecting teeth from acids found in plaque and certain foods and drinks.
- Reverses early decay: The early stages of tooth decay can be reversed with fluoride treatment as it remineralizes the tooth's enamel.
- Saves time and money: Like with dental sealants, fluoride treatment can help save time and money by preventing the need for dental fillings or root canal procedures.
- Prevents the pain of tooth decay: Fluoride treatment helps prevent tooth decay and in doing so, helps prevent the pain caused by cavities.
Schedule a Consultation with John Goodman, D.D.S.
It's best to prevent tooth decay before it happens, but we understand cavities are a common dental condition. We offer many treatments to fit the needs of our patients in Kansas City. Dental crowns, tooth-colored fillings, and other treatments can be performed to restore teeth back to health. We invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. John Goodman to see if dental sealants and fluoride treatment are right for you.