An attractive smile goes beyond just looking good. An attractive smile gives you the inner confidence to greet people in a poised and assured manner, complete with a broad smile.
If misaligned or discolored teeth hamper your smile, porcelain veneers may be the solution that can restore your smile and your confidence.
Porcelain veneers are thin, translucent shells that cover the front of your teeth, much like a false fingernail on your fingers. The veneers are bonded to the front of your teeth, instantly hiding unattractive flaws and transforming your smile. The veneers visually blend in with your other teeth while solving multiple problems in one step.
If you would like an instant smile makeover, cosmetic dentist John P. Goodman, with offices in Kansas City, is skilled in assessing the needs of porcelain veneer candidates. He will work with you to design veneers that are the ideal color, shape, and size to transform your smile.
Solutions for Your Dental Problems
Porcelain veneers offer solutions to a number of problems, including:
- Chipped teeth.
- Cracked teeth.
- Stained or discolored teeth.
- Crooked teeth.
- Uneven teeth.
- Gapped teeth.
People who are the best candidates for porcelain veneers are those who have minor cosmetic issues with their smile.
Because veneers are a cosmetic solution, they cannot solve major, structural issues with teeth. Of course, if your problems are structural, Dr. Goodman can recommend treatments to address those issues.
Other things to consider if you would like porcelain veneers:
- Healthy Teeth. Any decay must be fixed before veneers are applied.
- Healthy gums. Gum disease causes gums to recede, which would eventually cause an unattractive gap between the veneer and the gums. If you have gum disease, it will need to be treated first.
- Good Tooth Enamel. Veneers require tooth enamel in order to bond to the tooth. If you lack tooth enamel, then you may not be a good candidate for veneers.
- No Grinding or Clenching. Patients who grind or clench their teeth exert tremendous force on veneers. Though veneers are strong, grinding can cause them to chip or crack. If your bruxism occurs only at night, you can discuss with your dentist whether a night guard would help.
- Tooth Alignment. Veneers successfully conceal minor misalignments, providing “instant orthodontics.” However severe misalignment of teeth puts extreme pressure on veneers, and can cause premature breakage. If you have severe misalignments, you may want to consider traditional braces or Invisalign®.
- Commitment. The treatment for veneers is irreversible. This means, once you have veneers, you will need to maintain them. Veneers are durable, lasting 10 years or more, but they will not last a lifetime. There will be times when they need repair or replacement. You should understand that veneers require a financial and personal commitment.
Porcelain veneers can address a number of cosmetic problems at once and transform your smile instantly. If you are interested in finding out whether you are a good candidate for veneers, please call today for a personal consultation.